Card Sizes & Envelope Sizes Explained
Card Sizes, Paper Sizes, Envelope Sizes and Grammage Explained.
Are you often looking for an envelope but have no idea what size will fit your greetings cards? We have a complete guide to card, paper and envelope sizes as well as grammage (gsm)
Standard Paper and Card Sizes
Paper and card is organised by an 'A' system and are in order of the largest size first. (A0 = largest - A10 = smallest)
Envelopes are organised by a "C" system - for example:
- An A4 card will fit into a C4 envelope
- An A5 card will fit into a C5 envelope
- An A6 card will fit into a C6 envelope
- An A7 card will fit into a C7 envelope
Card & Paper Sizes
- A0 841mm x 1189mm
- A1 594mm x 841mm
- A2 420mm x 594mm
- A3 297mm x 420mm
- A4 210mm x 297mm
- A5 148mm x 210mm
- A6 105mm x 148mm
- A7 74mm x 105mm
- A8 52mm x 74mm
- C4 envelopes fit an A4 unfolded card or paper sheet (210mm x 297mm)
- C4 envelopes will also fit an A3 card or paper sheet folded in half.
- C4 envelopes are mainly for commercial use for sending documents and paperwork. The are also used for certificates.
- C5 envelopes fit an A5 unfolded card or paper sheet (148mm x 210mm)
- C5 envelopes will also fit an A4 card or paper sheet folded in half.
- C5 envelopes are used for larger greetings cards, weddings, awards, etc
- C6 envelopes fit an A6 unfolded card or paper sheet (105mm x 148mm)
- C6 envelopes will also fit an A5 card or paper sheet folded in half.
- C6 envelopes are mainly used for greetings cards, postcards, invites etc.
- C7 envelopes fit an A7 unfolded card or paper sheet (74mm x 105mm)
- C7 envelopes will also fit an A6 card or paper sheet folded in half.
- C7 envelopes are mainly used for RSVP, thank you notes, Floristry etc.They are small mini envelopes so not ideally for posting as they can easily get lost!
- DL envelopes fit an DL unfolded card or paper sheet (105mm x 210mm)
- DL envelopes fit an A4 card or sheet of paper folded in thirds, or an A5 sheet folded in half
- DL envelopes are used for commercial, greetings cards, tickets, vouchers, etc
- 5x7 envelopes fit an 128mm x 178mm unfolded card or paper sheet
- 5x7 cards and envelopes have become increasingly popular for greetngs cards. Larger than a C6 but smaller than a C5
- 6x6 envelopes fit a square unfolded card or paper sheet 145mm x 145mm
- Square cards and envelopes have become increasingly popular for greetings cards and wedding invitations
- 5x5 envelopes fit a square unfolded card or paper sheet 125mm x 125mm
- Square cards and envelopes have become increasingly popular for greetings cards and wedding invitations. These envelopes are often used as an RSVP with the 6x6.
|Size||Size in mm||Size in cm||Size in inches|
|A0||841 mm x 1189 mm||84.1 cm x 118.9 cm||33.1" x 46.8"|
|A1||594 mm x 841 mm||59.4 cm x 84.1 cm||23.4" x 33.1"|
|A2||420 mm x 594 mm||42 cm x 59.4 cm||16.5" x 23.4"|
|A3||297 mm x 420 mm||29.7 cm x 42 cm||11.7" x 16.5"|
|A4||210 mm x 297 mm||21 cm x 29.7 cm||8.3" x 11.7"|
|A5||148 mm x 210 mm||14.8 cm x 21.0 cm||5.8" x 8.3"|
|A6||105 mm x 148 mm||10.5 cm x 14.8 cm||4.1" x 5.8"|
|A7||74 mm x 105 mm||7.4 cm x 10.5 cm||2.91" x 4.13"|
|A8||52 mm x 74 mm||5.2 cm x 7.4 cm||2.0" x 2.9"|
|A9||37 mm x 52 mm||3.7 cm x 5.2 cm||1.5" x 2.0"|
|A10||26 mm x 37 mm||2.6 cm x 3.7 cm||1.0" x 1.5"|
|SRA3||450 mm x 320 mm||45 cm x 32 cm||17.71" x 12.59"|
|SRA4||225 mm x 320 mm||22.5 cm x 32 cm||8.85" x 12.59"|
Grammage and basis weight in the pulp and paper industries, are the area density of a paper its mass per unit of area. Two ways of expressing grammage are commonly used: Expressed in grams per square metre, paper density is also known as grammage.
Below explains the range of paper and card grammages available and their common uses.
80gsm - 100gsm
|Standard commercial and greetings card envelopes. Greetings card envelope being 100gsm primarily.|
110gsm - 140gsm
|Premium quality and better gsm means more of a luxury feel to the envelopes. Used for greetings card, invitations, tickets, awards.|
|A general and common paper weight, this paper is used in offices and is the main weight of copy and printer paper and general printing.|
|The higher the gsm, the better the quality and the heavier they feel to the touch. You will find a variety of textures from plain to textured, kraft to pearlescent. Our range of papers are perfect for inserts, letterheads, scrolls, menus etc.The heavier weight paper ranging from 120gsm to 140gsm is often used for formal correspondance and letterheads.|
|A low weight card suitable for everyday use but not suitable for greetings cards as you will find it a little too thin especially if layering. Suitable for use in most printers (always check your printer settings) suitable for flyers, leaflets, layering etc. Also used as file dividers.|
|A good weight of card and the best weight for greetings cards, invitations etc, ranges from 250gsm - 300gsm and again available in many finishes. Perfect for card blanks, menus, business cards, wedding stationery.|
|Card 300gsm upwards
||This weight of card is normally used for box and packaging applications, and has a limitless range of uses.|